How The COVID-19 Pandemic Is Changing Our Resident’s Lives
Ashford Hall staff are working their hardest to adapt to these new circumstances due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We are doing our best to provide activities, education, and entertainment opportunities to our residents, while adhering to the social distancing restrictions. Our residents need support from their families and the community during this time, more than ever. Many of our residents do not have families or loved ones nearby. Some do not have anyone at all, only their friends and staff members here at Ashford. While we are not permitting onsite visitations, there are other ways to help.
How can the community help?
Communicate with our residents. Let your loved ones know they are not alone and that someone cares.
- Write letters and cards to residents. Become a Pen Pal. Our residents would love to hear from you and to be able to share their stories.
- Send emails to your loved ones. If they do not have an email address, send it to our Activities Department and we’ll print it out for them.
The media has shown some family members visiting through the windows with their loved ones. If you prefer to do this, please call our Activities Department to make arrangements. We love this, but we also need to ensure privacy for other residents, and we want to make sure you get to the right window! We’ll also make sure your loved one gets a phone to use, if they don’t already have one, so you can speak clearly through the window.
- If you wish, you can post signs (similar to garage sale signs) of encouragement, support and love outside their windows. We also can tape them in their rooms or to inside of their window.
- We are also open to any ideas you may have as well.
What can you donate?
Ashford Hall is always accepting donations. All donations will be cleaned and sanitized as best as possible to prevent any possible spread of coronavirus, or any other infectious disease. Specific items you can donate that will make a big difference include:
- Current Magazines
- Board Games (Dominoes, Checkers, Chess, Scrabble, Backgammon, Yahtzee, and others)
- Card Games
- Puzzles & Brain Games
- Music (CDs, iPods, CD players, etc.)
- Books on CD / Kindle, etc. Ashford Hall does have a number of Kindle Fire’s that can be checked out or you can provide your own.
- Movies (DVDs only, please)
- Old Electronic Tablets/Phones to be used as Wi-Fi connected devices
In addition to entertainment and educational items, our residents enjoy arts arts and crafts. Any of the following craft materials would be greatly appreciated:
- Sewing / Knitting / Crocheting materials
- Art project material / supplies
- Easter Egg Decorating materials (no real eggs, please)
Items we can not accept
While we appreciate your generosity there are items we can not accept at this time because of the coronavirus. Please do not donate any of the following items.
- Food or Drink. During this emergency event, we cannot accept these.
- Alcoholic beverages
- Electrical appliances, such as coffee pots, toasters, electric blankets, microwaves, etc.
- Any items that state Keep Out of Reach of Children
- Aerosol cans or glass items
As always, thank you for your love and support to the staff and residents at Ashford Hall. Please help us get the word out that your fellowship means the world to our residents.